In a good horror movie, you shouldn't know where the villain is. The monster could be under the bed, inside the closet, or outside the window. Because you're not sure where the evil lies, it becomes present everywhere it could be. The monster is under the bed, inside the closet, and outside the window all at once. It lurks around every corner, and that is why you are afraid.
Since omniscience generates fear, I have all the reason in the world to be scared of media. In my life, media is represented by any device capable of accessing broadcasts or the internet. There are six such devices in my house. They lurk around every corner: on every coffee table and in every pocket. Not only within their presence do they tempt me, but also anywhere within range of their voices. They call me - with beeps, dings, and buzzes - to come to them, to be sucked into the infinite digital universe within. This is their Siren's song, and I am often unable to resist it.
The irresistibility of media hurts me as a student and person. When at home, my goal is to be as productive as I can be. I try to plough through homework and get to bed as quickly as is possible. Media is the obvious antagonist to this wish. It is quite difficult to do work with digital devices staring you in the face. They sing their Siren's song, tempting me - the sailor - to deviate away from my route to homework-completion and into the enchanted waters of humorous videos and pop-culture updates.
Since media-carrying devices surround and actively distract me, I would characterize my relationship with media as predator-prey. My goal-oriented personality tells me that time spent absorbing media is time wasted. So I try to evade the grasping tentacles of my digital devices, by turning phones off and doing work without them in the room. But media always finds its way back to me, precisely because of the implications of my businesslike philosophy. My weekday typically consists of school, sports practice, then homework. There's time for little else. Because there's such little room to enjoy myself, I get bored while I'm doing homework. I get fidgety. Having done all work and no play, I find it hard to concentrate on more work for extended chunks of time. Thus, I allow myself to fall into the enemy's grasp, and be swept up in the whirlpool of internet-scrolling. It's quite pleasant in there. But I feel awful after letting myself slip into this unproductive coma, and try to shut it off again while I do some homework. It's a never-ending game of passive-agressive cat-and-mouse. Media is the cat; I am the mouse. Media is the predator, I am the prey.
But as cats can be at once ferocious hunters and loving pets, media too is duplicitous. It should be noted that this predator has done much good for me. My phone has constructive apps, such as the pocket thesaurus, and the one that's helping me learn Spanish. On television, I can watch presidential debates and other informative programs. It should be noted that digital media is a tool that can be used however the user chooses. It's only when the user uses this tool to access social media that the tool becomes an evil, and the user becomes it's slave. I am fully responsible for the villainous nature of my digital devices. There is no one to blame but myself for the saga of monster-and-victim, of cat-and-mouse, of Siren-and-sailor, and of predator-and-prey that plays out every weeknight in the Lowman household.
All told, media is what one makes of it. It can be Dr. Jekyll or Mr. Hyde, or both. It just so happens that for me, media is more like Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde and Mr. Hyde and Mr. Hyde and Mr. Hyde and Mr. Hyde. Media is in every nook and cranny of my life not occupied by anything constructive. It's under my bed, inside my closet, and outside the window. Boo.
No comments:
Post a Comment