Do you know who Darrell Steinberg is? Unless you're my one reader who checks in from Romania, I'll bet my March Madness winnings that you do. In fact, I bet you even know what he looks like. The reason I'm so confident is because the metropolitan Sacramento area is inundated with his name and face. His signs line every street, his pamphlets every mailbox, and his volunteers every doorstep. The overwhelmingness of his campaign effort should be attributed not to the enthusiasm of his supporters, but rather to the depths of his pockets.
While serving as the leader of California's senate, Steinberg opened a campaign account a Lieutenant Governor. He never ran, but he has used $1.4 million from that account to fund his mayoral run. That type of money is pennies compared to what presidential candidates raise, but it's been enough to blow Steinberg's competition out of the water (there are two other candidates, if you didn't know. I wouldn't blame you). I'm not saying that Steinberg is a bad guy, or that he's the favorite because of his money - on the contrary, I've heard great things about him, and he was the overwhelming favorite from the start. However, there's no denying that his funding is an advantage. Because us Californians are so unfamiliar with the actual functionality of money in politics, let me show you what $1.4 million can do.

On the left is a very elegant, well-produced booklet profiling Steinberg and his plans for Sacramento. Every picture is choreographed and air-brushed, with each subject smiling and perfectly positioned. The camera angle is always beneath the candidate, to make him appear larger and more authoritative. Steinberg's proposals on a variety of issues are inscribed within, as are the testimonials of various local leaders in a tasteful font. It's a perfectly crafted professional advertisement. On the top/right is a one-page flyer distributed by Angelique Ashby, the frontrunner's main challenger. The photo looks like it was taken on a smartphone, and there's much less text. If I was unfamiliar with both candidates but glanced over these in my mailbox, I know which one would make a stronger impression.
Such advertisements mean a lot in a mayoral race because, quite frankly, nobody cares that much. People aren't as inclined to research mayoral candidates as they are to do their due diligence on presidential candidates. So pamphlets like the ones shown above have a big impact. And since the candidate with the fatter bank account can afford the better pamphlet, the influence of money on this mayoral race is undeniable. Don't be seduced by the pretty pictures.

No comments:
Post a Comment