Maid Campara, AKA Young Boz, is an up-and-coming rapper from Sacramento’s Curtis Park neighborhood. Since the release of his debut single “Bosnian Keys,” Maid, the son of Bosnian immigrants, has developed a cult following at McClatchy and beyond: his tracks have been played over six thousand times on Soundcloud, and he’s gained nearly 400 social media followers. His first EP, The Wizard of Boz, is due for release at the end of the school year.
Maid sat down with Prospector reporter Kainoa Lowman in McClatchy’s library for a conversation in late March.

Kainoa Lowman: Where does the name “Young Boz” come from?
Maid Campara: Young Boz comes from the man Ethan Keene, he thought of “Boz” because it’s short for Bosnian. And then “Young” because at the time that I made the name, I was only 15. And now I’m only 16 so I’m still pretty young, but when I turn 30 I’ll probably change it to Old Boz.
KL: What does it feel like when you’re spitting?
MC: Oh, I feel like I’m -- like -- a god, you know? I just feel like I have the juice. And when it really kicks, I just can’t stop. It’s hard for me to sleep sometimes when I get the juice -- ‘cause I typically write late at night, that’s when the ideas come for me, and then it might be like 10 o’clock and then I get the juice and then I can’t go to sleep until like 3.
KL: What, in your opinion, are some of the best lines you’ve written?
MC: From Trust the Process, “I’m whippin’ ‘cause I need some food.” I feel like that represents a lot of who I am.
KL: Like you’re driving to get some food in that line?
MC: Yeah. And then in “Drip,” there’s “dippin’ I’m drippin I’m sippin’ on frost with the crew,” you know, I love my crew.
KL: There’s a line I really like from “Cheeto,” it goes “I lounge where I lounge” ...
MC: Classic.
KL: What’s the meaning behind it?
MC: I won’t even be fake, I personally don’t have any loungewear, but my brother sometimes lets me wear his Ralph pajama-type things, and they’re super comfy, and I was wearing it at the time I was recording the song so I put it in there. I was like “lounge where I lounge.”
KL: You have a local flavor to your rap -- you talk about hooping at Sierra 2 and stuff like that. I like that.
MC: Yeah. I wanna really just, you know, put Sac on the map. When I get famous -- not if -- when I get famous, you know, I wanna make Sac famous as well. There’s Mozzy who’s on the come up right now, but … You can never forget your roots, Sac made me who I am.
KL: If you could choose, which condiment would you be?
MC: Ketchup, that’s easy money.
KL: Why?
MC: Because it’s the best condiment there is and I want to be the best rapper out there.
KL: What makes ketchup so good that also makes you so good?
MC: First of all, it’s red … If there was a blue condiment I’d probably pick that, because you know, Bosnia, but I just love ketchup, it just tastes so good. And you can really put it on anything, you know, when I was younger I used to put ketchup on chicken, ketchup on pizza, ketchup was like a go-to for me.
KL: I see. If you were a literary figure, who would you be?
MC: Me and Holden Caulfield have some similarities because of the stream of consciousness, when I start writing, just a bunch of stuff keeps coming to my mind … Odysseus would be a good one too.
KL: Do you see yourself as the future of the rap game?
MC: Of course I see myself as the future of the rap game. I’m only 16, so I hope by the time I’m 18 or 19 I’ll be very big, and you’ll see me on XXL.
KL: I’ve been listening, and it seems like the game is getting a little more strange. In the world of gangsta rap, I’m not sure if there’d be an audience for a white Bosnian guy with an afro who raps about Bosnia, but it seems like it’s a more open environment now. Do you think it’s your time; people are more receptive of your message?
MC: That’s a great point. Honestly, if I was trying to rap like 5 years ago, I’d have zero chance. But now you have people like Ugly God, Lil Peep … You listen to their music, and it’s so weird, but there’s a lot of people that love it. You gotta try new stuff, and I feel like being white and Bosnian makes me unique.
KL: There also aren’t many Muslim rappers ...
MC: Probably 90% of my fans don’t even know I’m Muslim. And it really goes to show that it doesn’t matter what religion you are -- especially like you were talking about earlier, anyone in today’s rap game can really make it.
KL: Which do you like better, elbows or knees?
MC: Imma have to go with knees on that one, just because I have gigantic knees.
KL: Any word on your rivalry with fellow Sacramento rapper Brazy B?
MC: Never heard of him.
No comments:
Post a Comment